Sunday, October 2, 2016

A Rapidly Played RAPID FIRE Game

So this morning I was up with the chickens and played a very quick game (a practice game?) of RAPID FIRE.  I've been thinking more and more of larger modern rules that will handle big battles and give a particular "feel" that I'm looking for.  Rapid Fire gives a nice "old school" feel to it with unit tables of organization and figure-based battalions (6 to 10 figure companies).  I have traditionally given RAPID FIRE a tough time in the past but after rereading the rules I'm going to put together another game, probably centered around the Kursk Ponyri Station battle to see how it goes.  I've played some modern variants of Rapid Fire and have really enjoyed them so I think exploring the WWII rules once again deserves a chance.

Anyways onto the action - this game featured 2 Soviet Rifle Companies, about 21 figures counting a Battalion command stand advancing against a German Company of 9 figures.  Both sides were regular.

Soviet rifle company advances!  No heavy weapons or support.  Just bayonets and fervor!

slow trudging through the woods.  Using a variable movement penalty of 1D6 in the woods.
 I had to look some things up in regards to who shoots and the sequence of play.  Also the observation rules needed some dusting off but at this range, it's a guaranteed spot since the range is so close.


German company in cover awaiting Ivan's advance.  Soon 2 Rifle Companies would burst from the woods

The Germans have another trick up their sleeve.  An AT gun battery of PAK 40s (yes, this is a PAK 38)
 The AT fire is pretty neat .  The Range Band pretty much determines the target number to hit and the gun's HE value is consulted.  In this instance the Germans were able to take more momentum out of the Soviet advance.
German command group in the Pig St ye.

For the Motherland!  Urrah!  Urrah!
 Soviet revolutionary fervor is cut short by hot lead as the Germans use their reserved fire to cut into the advancing Soviets.  The first volley knocks down 6 troops in the left company!


The wave after wave of humanity continues forward as the Soviets mercilessly push their gun fodder towards the German line.

Lonely in the advance.  The first company down to 3 troops.  The Battalion gets closer to breaking.
 RAPID FIRE hones a more unusual sequence of play and morale checks occur at the beginning of the turn.  The Soviets luckily (well, luckily if you're high command but not one of the riflemen!) pass and the advance continues.  The battalion command team joins the line advancing into almost certain oblivion.

The Soviet return fire has been ineffective against the Germans due to the Germans' skillful use of Reserved Fire.  They are knocked down in strength before they get an opportunity to shoot.  The Soviets really could have used some mortars and HMGs.

Carnage


costly lessons learned...
It would be fun to play this with more companies, support weapons, artillery, and of course, TANKS!  This might be the "Christmas Offensive" game this winter.

2 comments:

  1. Great to see Rapid Fire up again. It's the one set of rules that I play a few games with, find something I don't like (unfortunately), then set aside...but always end up coming back to. I think we had a lot of house rules when we used them back int the day.

    I remember playing these in the mid 90s and building up a massive collection of 1/72 kits and cheap plastic figures (the main reason I don't go for 15mm now).

    We did play the Safi scenario when I started the blog, and it was very close, and as you say, they are very traditional. I have a few modern hacks on the hard drive somewhere, but you have probably got them. I think also I have an A5 size book modern version somewhere, that was produced in the 90s.

    Actually, I always thought they would work well for Falklands battles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darren,
      I had been wanting to play RF for awhile and it seemed like a good morning for it. The appeal to me of RF are the company sized units of figures broken out into battalions. This feature allows for huge battles to be played.
      I actually enjoyed the modern games much more. My favorite now is the Able Archer version as its the cleanest and least ambiguous. You can fit a decent sized force on a table and get all the accompanying support assets. I love that about RF.

      I am going to give a bigger battle as well as a modern battle a go and see how they turn out.

      Delete