Wednesday, January 2, 2013

One Sweet Ride...The M3 Lee-Grant

Finally was able to finish the Lee-Grant for my Desert Rats.

While in Battlefront lore, this chap is actually a Major General, on my tables he will serve as a Company, Battalion, or Brigade commander.  For 1:1 games he could theoretically even be a platoon leader although he doesn't quite look lost enough for my taste.  (having been an Army Second Lieutenant once upon a time and having taken a wrong turn or two in my former lifetime I can comfortably say that!).

I added a little dry-brushing and painted the track.  I will need some additional kit on the tank as well.  I have the other tank in the section almost ready (or other platoon, depending on the scale I'm playing).  I will publish them both together soon after I finish up some desert war British Shermans!





Light brown wash and then a white dry brush turned out well.

My favorite pic.  the business end!




10 comments:

  1. A very nice vehicle. How did you achieve that gritty look, as if it has seen more than one simoom in its time?

    Your comment about subalterns getting lost reminds me of one of my (now deceased) maternal uncle's attitude towards a much loved Radio and TV personality (also deceased after all this time). It seems that Pte MU happened to be in Lt MLTVP's platoon that had been ordered out on patrol in No-Man's_Land in the Western Desert. Lt MLTVP got himself thoroughly lost, didn't he? Spent hours swanning about in the blue. Well, one way or another, the platoon made it back into good-guy country. For ever after when MLTVP was heard on radio, or appear on the 'box', MU would bellow 'That b*gg*r nearly got us all killed in the desert!' One form the impression that MU never quite forgave MLTVP the scare he'd got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you were to run into any of my Soldiers from my platoon in 2004, you could ask them about Lieutenant Whitesell's notorious missed turn in Baghdad rush hour traffic with an entire Battery's worth of 8x8 HEMMT trucks with trailers and 1025 weapons carriers behind me...I missed the highway onramp in fog. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil. This one was a joy to paint. Spray, wash, dry brush!

      Delete
  3. Nice looking tank! Love the weathering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking Lee-Grant Steve. The weathering is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve. I appreciate the comment. I was going for that "just turned up after a dust storm" kind of look.

      Delete
  5. Excellent work Stephen. I can almost feel the grit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paul. If you're reminded of that little "sand in your teeth" feeling after looking at my post, I've done my job well.

      Delete